The Original Mexican Street Food Company in Wales
El Salsa has been bringing a taste of Mexico to Wales since 2012. After rocking the nomadic lifestyle for the past six years, serving food all around Wales from our colourful food truck, we finally decided to put down some roots and open our first El Salsa Eatery in our hometown of Cardigan! We’re an urban street food Eatery cooking up tasty, wholesome, Mexican street food, and all our creations are fresh, vibrant, and healthy. Everything is made from scratch, using only the freshest, top-quality ingredients, from homegrown chillies & salads to free-range locally-reared chicken and pork. Our mission is to provide fresh fast food in a casual atmosphere without compromising quality or flavour! Our whole menu is available to EAT IN or TAKEAWAY. We have communal dining indoors and outdoor seating in our colourful courtyard. We are a hustling bustling urban street food Eatery, it’s loud, it’s lively but this is what we are & we love it, as it resembles the energy & liveliness of street food markets around the world, bringing people together to enjoy good food. We are licensed & serve fresh cocktails, local beers, cider, wine & soft drinks. We make a mean Margarita! Just turn up, grab a table, order at the till & collect from the counter once your food is ready. We always appreciate it if you dispose of your waste in the correct bins. We are sometimes able to take phone orders if we’re not too busy, but we’re predominantly a street food establishment, so we prioritise our walk-ins. If we’re unable to answer the phone, it means we’ve probably got a queue!
WINNER: BEST MEXICAN ESTABLISHMENT 2018
The Food Awards Wales
El Salsa, 4CG Carpark, Pwllhai, Cardigan. SA43 1DB
Due to covid-19 we are not operating as usual.
We are currently doing EL SALSA AT HOME MEAL BOXES
for collection on Saturdays between 2 – 5pm.
THIS WEEKS MENU
EL SALSA MEAL BOX
Have fun at home building your own El Salsa favourites. This meal box contains the components to build Burritos, Loaded Nachos, Quesadillas or Chilli & rice. So it’s up to you what you’d like to turn it into. The two main fillings this week are Chipotle Pulled Pork & Veggie bean, these have been vac packed for easy reheating “boil in the bag” style. The only thing you will need to cook is the rice, if you want it to go in your burritos or if you fancy having chilli & rice. If your turning your meal box into quesadillas, wraps or Loaded nachos you can save the rice for another day. The Chipotle crema is for topping the pulled pork once you’ve added it to your desired dish.
Additional freshness – add your own sliced avocado, crisp lettuce & fresh coriander for the full works of nutritious deliciousness.
To Start your going to need 2 saucepans, 1 to cook the rice & 1 to heat up the fillings & a large frying pan to toast the tortillas & make Quesadillas (if you like)
FIRSTLY COOK RICE– Put a saucepan on the hob with plenty of water in & bring to a boil. Once boiling add the seasoned rice (remove from the bag) No need to add salt as it’s already in the mix. The rice should take around 16 minutes at a simmer. Once cooked drain & keep warm.
HEAT UP FILLINGS– Put another saucepan on the hob at the same time as the rice pan. Put enough water in the pan so the main 2 fillings (Pulled pork & veggie bean will be submerged) Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, put the bags of main fillings in the water (keep contents in the bag), reduce the heat & leave in simmering water for approx 16 minutes. So now you have your cooked rice & heated up main fillings, it’s time to build the dishes you want to eat. When I mention to add the main filling, I’m referring to the pulled pork with chipotle crema on top or the veggie bean chilli. But you can add a bit of both if you like. These are some guidelines how we like to eat ours, but you can do any variation you like to each dish to satisfy your taste. You can cut the main fillings bags once heated & use what you want straight from the bag (just be careful & use a towel to hold it as the bag & contents will be very hot!) Or decant the whole contents into a bowl.
- Toast the tortilla wrap in a frying pan (you can coat the frying pan with a thin layer of cooking oil & spread it around the pan with some kitchen roll. Or you can toast them in a dry pan (no oil) Just make sure to not flip it before it’s had a chance to toast a little or the tortilla may stick to the pan.
- Once you have your toasted tortilla, fill it with rice, Pulled pork & Chipotle crema, Add some veggie bean as well if you like. (Try to keep the fillings in the centre of the tortilla to make for easy rolling) Top with cheese, sour cream, tomato salsa. You can add some spicy slaw for a nice crunchy texture, and pickled Jalapenos & El Salsa hot sauce for your desired spice.
- Now it’s time to roll! Fold both ends in, now take the unfolded side that’s closest to you & fold it over all the ingredients & tuck it under the fillings. Continue to roll the whole tortilla over until it’s a nice Burrito shape. You want it tight so the contents aren’t all loose inside but not too tight as the tortilla may rip. You got this!
- Viola! You have your very own burrito! To really give it a really nice finish you can put it back to the frying pan to toast the outside of the burrito.
- You can make them straight in the box the tortilla chips came in or on a plate or baking dish if you want to grill the cheese in the oven.
- Top the Tortilla chips with the main filling of your choice or you can just do plain cheese. Heat in the microwave roughly or oven till the cheese has melted.
- Then topwith sour cream, tomato salsa, El Salsa Hot sauce & jalapenos if you like it spicy.
- Coat your frying pan with a little bit of cooking oil. Over a medium heat, toast the small tortilla wrap on one side . Flip the tortilla over, then add cheese & your filling of choice to just one half of the tortilla (so like in a semi circle/half moon shape)
- Then fold over the rest of the tortilla wrap to cover the filling, leaving it to go golden brown on one side. Then flip over to toast the other side.
- The quesadilla is ready when both sides are golden brown & the cheese is all melted inside.
- Remove from the pan chop into 3 or 4 triangles & serve with whichever sides you fancy. I like to eat mine with sour cream, tomato salsa, spicy slaw & salad.
CHILLI & RICE
- Once the rice is cooked, serve some on a plate, top with the main fillings.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, tomato salsa. Add pickled jalapenos & El Salsa hot sauce if you like it spicy.
- I like to eat mine with Spicy slaw & scoop it all up with tortilla chips.
So there you have it, have fun with it & turn these into anything you like. Please take photos of your creations & tag us on Instagram @elsalsamx. We’d love to see you guys enjoying your El Salsa at home! Hope your all keeping well & safe & enjoying this beautiful sunshine.
Thanks so much for your order, we hope you enjoy!
Laura & the El Salsa crew
REDUSE, RECYCLE, REUSE.
At El Salsa we’re all about reducing waste. All the items in your meal box have been made fresh today & the main fillings the day before (to improve on flavour). So there is a good shelf life on it. If you can’t manage to eat it all in one sitting, it will keep for a good couple of days. Get creative with the leftovers. Salsa & hot sauce on your eggs the next morning, crispy fried pork rice for dinner. Yum! As there are so many components in this box, unfortunately it takes a lot of packaging. We’ve used biodegradable & compostable where possible. The plastic vac bags can be washed out & recycled. And the portion pots can be washed & reused. They work great for storing spices in or small amounts of leftovers. We’re reducing paper by giving instructions online, if you’d rather a print out, just ask at the till.
El Salsa founder Laura Elsaesser is a qualified professional chef who has worked in the industry for nearly twenty years. Fresh out of catering college at a ripe age of eighteen, she hopped on a plane for the bright lights of the NYC. It was during her three fun-filled years in America that her Latino co-workers first introduced her to the fresh exciting world of Mexican flavour.
Since then, Laura has worked in various establishments around the world: millionaire members-only yacht clubs in Connecticut, high-end mountain top restaurants in Vermont, and beachside cafes in New Zealand. On returning back to her home town of Cardigan, Laura worked in a couple of local places but grew annoyed being stuck in stuffy kitchens all summer long while her friends traveled and went to festivals.
She envisioned the idea of a mobile Mexican kitchen, where she could create her dream job and fulfill her passion for cooking fresh, tasty, honest food in exciting new locations. It wasn’t long before she bought a second-hand trailer, converted it with the help of some wonderful friends, and El Salsa was born.
The inspiration for the name came from a friend who couldn’t spell Laura’s rather complicated surname.
We spent 6 years traveling up & down the country, feeding the masses at festivals, events & weddings. We were one of the original traders of Street food Cardiff & would pitch anytime they’d magic up an event in our capital. We loved life on the road & the adventure of spending summers living in fields. We traded at regular local pitch throughout school holidays. The demand for our tasty creations got bigger & bigger, we couldn’t keep up with the demand from our mobile kitchen anymore. So the next step for us was to build our Eatery for everyone to be able to come dine, enjoy & get their El Salsa fix on a regular basis.
Being kind to our planet is high up on our list! We only use biodegradable takeaway containers. We operate a no-waste policy, everything is recycled, composted or eaten! Any leftover salsa is turned into our El Salsa Tomato and Chilli Chutney. We source locally where possible. We have teamed up with T. Samways Butchers in Cardigan, who source us our free-range, locally-reared chicken, pork & Beef. We grow a lot of our own vegetables, herbs & salads on my parents small holding 5 miles from Cardigan.
We’re chuffed to have been finalists for the Best Street Food category in the Wales Food Awards 2015, 2016, and 2017, 2019… and WINNERS of the Best Mexican Establishment 2018!!!
If you have any questions ask us here! Alternatively, you can call us on 01239 613705 or 07772610561 Thursday – Saturday
or email email@example.com